Marton Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Marton, with Stockton, comprise a parish for ecclesiastical purposes formed in 1859. Marton is 3 ½ miles north-east of Chirbury. St. Mark’s church, of stone, consisting of nave, fitted up with low open pews, chancel with stalls, and bell turret, was erected in 1855. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £45, with residence, and 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the vicar of Chirbury. Here is an Independent chapel; also a National school, for boys and girls. Edward Humphreys, Esq., William Nevett, Esq., Richard Edmunds, Esq., and Richard John Edmunds, Esq., are principal landowners and joint proprietors of the manor. The township contains 1,318 acres 1 rood 27 perches; rateable value, £1,539 5s.
The Beeches, Rycroft, Lower Field, and Bystack are farms.
Stockton is a township, 2 miles north from Chirbury, containing 404 acres 3 roods 14 perches; rateable value, £489 10s. The Earl of Powis is lord of the manor; and Mrs. Mostyn Pryce and Edward Humphreys, Esq., are principal landowners. The population of the ecclesiastical district in 1861 was 328.
Parish Clerk, Samuel Gardner.
Letters received from Chirbury.

Pulley Rev. Harry, B.A. The Vicarage
Bevan Robert A. farmer
Bunner John, farmer
Butler Thomas, wheelwright
Cheshire George, butcher
Edwards John, farmer, Rycroft
Edwards Wm. wheelwright & poulterer
Gardener Samuel, blacksmith
Gittins Edward, beer retailer & maltster
Hotchkiss Edward, farmer
Lewis Richard, farmer, The Villa
Morgan Richard, Sun inn
Oliver John, shopkeeper and assistant overseer
Preece Mary, farmer, Bystack
Pryce Edward, farmer
Roberts Samuel, blacksmith
Toy James, farmer
Wilcock Richard, boot and shoe maker
Young Samuel, farmer

Robinson Mrs.
Davies Thomas, blacksmith
Jebb William, farmer
Pryce Samuel, farmer
Rogers Edward, carpenter
Thomas Richard, miller

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.