Melverley is a parish and village, eight miles west-south-west from Baschurch station on the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, three miles South of Kinnerley railway stations on the Potteries line, and 5 ½ miles south-east from Llanymynech railway station, on the Cambrian line, 10 from Oswestry and Shrewsbury, in the Northern division of the county, lower division of Oswestry hundred, Atcham union, St. Asaph archdeaconry and diocese; it is situated at the junction of the Vyrnwy with the Severn. The church of St. Peter is an old wood and plaster building, and has nave, chancel, and turret with one bell; the church is in a dilapidated condition, and is situated about six yards only from the river Vyrnwy, on its north bank. The register dates from the year 1723. The living is a rectory, yearly value £177, with neat residence, erected in 1847, in the Elizabethan style, and six acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph, and held by the Rev. Henry Rogers, B.A., of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a chapel at Melverley Green for Independents, and one for Primitive Methodists at the Cross Lanes. Major Edwards is lord of the manor; and Lady Desbrowe and Edward Humphrey Dymock, Esq., are chief landowners. The charities are £6 yearly. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The population in 1861 was 214; the area is 1,418 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,934; rateable value, £2,767.
Parish Clerk, John Jones.
Letters through Oswestry.
Rogers Rev. Henry, B.A. Rectory
Brown Edward, farmer
Davies Edwin, farmer and landowner, Melverley hall
Gittins Benjamin, farmer
Glover Edward, farmer
Griffiths Thomas, farmer
Hilditch Thomas, farmer & landowner
Hughes …, cowkeeper
Jones David, farmer
Jones Edward, farmer, New house
Jones John, cowkeeper
Jones Richard, blacksmith, Cross lanes
Jones William, farmer, Cross lanes
Jones William, farmer, The Green
Jones William, farmer, Meadow farm
Jones Wythen farmer, Tir-y-Coed
Lewis Richard, farmer
Lewis Samuel, farmer, Cross lanes
Lloyd William, wheelwright
Pryce Richard, farmer
Pryce Richard, farmer
Pugh John, Dymock’s Arms inn, Cross lanes
Richards William, farmer, The Hall
Rogers Ann, shopkeeper
Wild Henry, farmer
Wild Isaac, farmer
Wild Thomas, Tauntine inn, and farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.