RUCKLEY AND LANGLEY form a small township, about 1 mile east from Acton Burnell, and 5 ½ miles west from Much Wenlock. The chapel is a small structure, where divine service is performed only twice a year. The living is a curacy, and the parishoners have the power of electing an incumbent, paying him a stipend of about 30s. a year. Sir Charles Frederick J. Smythe, Bart., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. King Charles during his troubles was for a short period concealed at Langley Hall, an ancient mansion, now a farm house in the occupation of Mr. Hayward. The population in 1861 was 78. Gross estimated rental, £1,385 ; rateable value, £1,320. Letters through Shewsbury.
Giles Rev. Francis S. (Catholic)
Sarjeantson Rev. William, m.a.,Rectory
Smythe Sir C. F. J., bart. d.l.
Bould Richard, bricklayer
Edwards John, gardener
Foreman Robert, bailiff to Sir C. F. J. Smythe, bart
Harvey John, shoe maker
Jukes Thomas, farmer
Perks Thomas, shopkeeper
Pinches Richard, carpenter
Reynols Ann, butcher
Southern Matilda, Stag’s Head
Wainwright Humphrey, farmer
Perry Graddon, farmer and maltster
Vickridge Joshua, shopkeeper
Edwards John, farmer
Perks William, tailor
Powell Thomas, farmer
Vines Jesse, farmer
Hayward Mr., farmer, Langley hall
Steadman Richard, farmer, Park gate
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.