Hatcham St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1845 from the Surrey part of Deptford St Paul Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845-1857; 1867
- Peckham St Mary Magdalen
- Deptford St Paul
- Rotherhithe All Saints
- Lewisham St Mary
- Camberwell Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HATCHAM, a manor and a chapelry in Deptford-St. Paul parish; the former in Surrey, the latter partly also in Kent. The manor lies on the London-Bridge and New Croydon railway, at New Cross station, 2 miles SW by W of Deptford; and has two post offices, the one E of New Cross Tollgate, under Deptford, London SE, the other W of New Cross Tollgate, under Peckham, London SE. It was known at Domesday as Hacheham; and it was held by the Brixi, who gave name to Brixton hundred. Acres, 670. Pop. in 1851, 4,074; in 1861, 5,731. Houses, 969. Hatcham House and Hatcham Manor House are chief residences. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 9,887. Houses, 1,630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London Value, £160. Patron, the Rev. A. K. B. Granville. The church was built in 1850, is in the Gothic style, and stood incomplete at the beginning of 1865.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Greenwich
Probate Court: Pre-1845 – Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester, Post-1844 – Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Dartford
Poor Law Union: Greenwich