Hersham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1849 from Walton-on-Thames Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Heversham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1842
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HERSHAM, or HEVERSHAM, a village and a parochial chapelry in Walton-on-Thames district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 1 mile S of the Southwestern railway, and 5 SW by W of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Walton, and a post office under Esher. The chapelry was constituted in 1851. Rated property, £6,000. Pop., 1,766. Houses, 317. The chief landowners are F. T. Bircham, Esq., Sir Richard Frederick, Bart., Major Terry, and the Earl of Ellesmere. The metropolitan convalescent institution stands about 1 mile W of the village; was extended, by the addition of a new wing, in 1862; and contains accommodation for 230 patients. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Walton. The church was built in 1839; is in the Norman style; and has a gable turret. The new church of Oatlands, built in 1862, is near the convalescent asylum. There is an Independent chapel, a circular edifice, built in 1844. There are also national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey