Sidbon Carwood is a parish, 22 miles south from Shrewsbury, and 10 from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1741 is a stone building in the mixed style of architecture. The living is a vicarage, annual value £50, in the gift of James Baxter, Esq., Sibdon Castle, the seat of James Baxter, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and sole landowner, is an ancient castellated mansion. The soil is clay marl; subsoil, stone and sand. The population in 1861, was 69; the area is 817 acres; gross estimated rental, £886; rateable value, £840.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Baxter James, esq., J.P., The Castle
Cooper Mary, farmer
Corfield William, farmer
Dawes William, farmer, New house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.