Sutton, Surrey Family History Guide
Sutton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Sutton near Croydon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1636
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SUTTON, a village and a parish in Epsom district, Surrey. The village stands adjacent to the Epsom railway, 4½ miles WSW of Croydon; consists chiefly of one street; is the head polling place for Mid-Surrey; and has a post-office under London S, a r. station with telegraph, and two hotels. The parish includes Ben-hilton group of new villas at Been Hill, numerous other new villas and cottages, and the South Metropolitan District school. Acres, 1,803. Real property, £12,061; of which £30 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,387; in 1861, 3,186, of whom 900 were in the S. M. D. school. Houses, 452. The property is much subdivided. A section with a pop. of about 1,100, was formed, in 1863, into the chapelry of Benhilton. The head living is a rectory, and that of B. is a vicarage, in the diocese of Winchester. Value of the former, £660, of the latter, £200. Patron of the former, H. Padwick, Esq.; of the latter, the Representatives of the late T. Alcock Esq. The parochial church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £6,000; and is in late first-pointed style. B. church was built in 1864, and is in the decorated English style. There are several dissenting chapels, a slightly endowed school, and charities £51.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Epsom
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Pre-1846 – Winchester, Post-1845 – London
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: Epsom