Westwell, Kent Family History Guide
Westwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Protestant Dissenters and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Boughton Aluph
- Little Chart
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WESTWELL, a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent. The village stands 3¾ miles N by W of Ashford r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Ashford. The parish includes two hamlets, contains West Ashford workhouse, and comprises 5,199 acres. Real property, £5,933. Pop., 999. Houses, 186. The manor belonged to Christchurch, Canterbury; and passed to the Tuftons. Ripley Court was the seat of the Tuftons, but is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly early English, and has a tower and spire. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £27.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: East Ashford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Canterbury (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, 1845-1864 – Canterbury, Post-1863 – East Charing
Poor Law Union: West Ashford
Hundred: Calehill; Wye