Whitstable, Kent Family History Guide
Whitstable is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Other places in the parish include: Harwich.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1564
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITSTABLE, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Kent. The town stands on the coast, at the terminus of the Canterbury and Whitstable railway, and on the Kent Coast line of the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, 6 miles NNW of Canterbury; is long and straggling; carries on a great oyster fishery, and a considerable coal-trade; and has a post-office under Canterbury, a r. station with telegraph, a large coast guard station, an ancient church, a Primitive Methodist chapel, endowed schools, and a fair on the Thursday before Whitsunday. The parish includes part of Harwich hamlet; and comprises 3,610 acres of land, and 465 of water. Real property, £12,732; of which £50 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,746; in 1861, 3,675. Houses, 730. The increase of pop. arose from extension of the shipping-trade. The property is much subdivided. Tankerton Castle is the seat of W. Ellis, Esq. Salt-works and copperas-works are on the shore. Ancient remains are on a sea-bank in Tankerton bay; and Roman pottery has been found in dredging for oysters. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £160. Patron, the Archbishop. The sub-district includes Seasalter and Swalecliff; is in Blean district; and comprises 8,543 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,162: in 1861, 5,221. Houses, 1,031. The hundred is in St. Augustine lathe, and comprises 6,335 acres. Pop. in 1851, 3,406. Houses, 636.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Blean
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Westbere
Poor Law Union: Blean