Wilmington, Kent Family History Guide
Wilmington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1683
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1719
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Sutton at Hone
- St Mary Cray
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WILMINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Dartford district, Kent; 1½ mile S by W of Dartford r. station. It has a post-office under Dartford, and a fair on 23 April. Acres, 1,715. Real property, £6,218. Pop. in 1851, 915; in 1861, 1,058. Houses, 215. The manor belonged to Warwick the Kingmaker, and to Margaret Plantagenet, Countess of Salisbury. Much of the land is disposed in gardens and cherry-orchards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £340. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church stands on a hill, and is good. There is a national school. The antiquary Denne was vicar.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Dartford
Probate Court: Pre-1845 – Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester, Post-1844 – Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury
Diocese: Pre-1845 – Rochester, Post-1844 – Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 – Dartford, Post-1863 – East Dartford
Poor Law Union: Dartford
Hundred: Axton, Dartford and Wilmington