Preston next Faversham, Kent Family History Guide
Preston next Faversham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Alternative names: Preston St Catherine, Preston near Faversham, Preston by Faversham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Boughton under Blean
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTON-NEXT-FAVERSHAM, a parish in Faversham district, Kent; on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, at Faversham r. station, adjacent on the S to Faversham. Post-town, Faversham. Acres, 1,547. Real property, £6,327. Pop. in 1851, 1,135; in 1861, 1,535. Houses, 297. The increase of pop. arose from employments in connection with F. r. station. The manor was originally called Coppanstone; was given, in the 9th century, by King Kenulf, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and afterwards took the name of Priest’s Townor Preston. Preston House is the seat of G. Hilton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £324. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; has a small tower; and contains a fine monument of Roger Boyle, and some brasses. Charities, £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Faversham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Ospringe
Poor Law Union: Faversham