Darenth, Kent Family History Guide
Darenth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Other places in the parish include: South Darenth.
Alternative names: Darent
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1670
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Sutton at Hone
- Horton Kirby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Darenth, or Darent, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; on the river Darent, 1½ mile N of Farningham r. station, and 2¼ SSE of Dartford. It includes part of South Darenth hamlet; and its post-town is Sutton-at-Hone, under Dartford. Acres, 2,189. Real property, £4,959. Pop., 626. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Duke Eudulf, in 940, to the Archbishops of Canterbury; and exchanged by them, in 1196, with Rochester abbey for Lambeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £339. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early Norman, and good; and has a very curiously figured font. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Dartford
Probate Court: Pre-1845 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham, Post-1844 – Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Shoreham, 1845-1862 – Rochester, Post-1862 – Gravesend
Poor Law Union: Dartford
Hundred: Axton, Dartford and Wilmington