Adisham, Kent Family History Guide
Adisham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1569
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADISHAM, a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on the Dover railway, 6 miles SE of Canterbury. It has a station on the railway; and its Post Town is Wingham under Sandwich. Acres, 1,815. Real property, £3,004. Pop., 492. Houses, 84. The manor was given in 616 to Christ Church, Canterbury; and is now held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury; and, till 1864, was united with the p. curacy of Staple. Value, £750. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is cruciform, and early English, with a central tower. Charities, £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Adisham, a parish in the hund. of Downshamford, lathe of St Augustine, Bridge union, Kent; 2¾ miles south-west by south from Wingham. Living, a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Staple, in the dio. of Canterbury, and exempt from the jurisdiction of the archdeacon; rated at £28 3s. 1½d.; gross in come £1,000. Patron, in 1835, the archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a large cruciform edifice, in the early style of English architecture. By the will of the Rev. John Palmer in 1817, half the interest of £400 is distributed to the poor of this parish. Pop., in 1801, 271; in 1831, 390. Houses 53. Acres 1,810. A. P. £1,903. Poor rates, in 1837, £384.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Bridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Canterbury (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, Post-1844 – Bridge
Poor Law Union: Bridge