Ickham, Kent Family History Guide
Ickham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Kent.
Other places in the parish include: Well
Alternative names: Ickham and Well
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1570
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ICKHAM, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on the Little Stour river, 2½ miles NE of Beaksbourne r. station, and 4½ E of Canterbury; and was anciently called Yecham. The parish contains also Well hamlet, formerly a chapelry. Post-town, Wingham, under Sandwich. Acres, 2,440. Real property, £6,475. Pop., 588. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. Lee Priory belonged formerly to the Barrets, and had a monastic appearance; but belongs now to F. Philips, Esq., and has been altered and enlarged in the domestic pointed style. Well Court belonged formerly to the Cliffords. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £997. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church consists of nave and aisles, with a cross septiment and a tower; and was recently repaired and beautified. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Canterbury (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – None, 1844-1873 – Bridge, Post-1873 – East Bridge
Poor Law Union: Bridge