Walworth St Peter is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1827 from Newington St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: St Peter Walworth
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1825
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1825
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALWORTH, a metropolitan suburb and three chapelries in Newington parish, Surrey. The suburb lies on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, between Southwark and Camberwell, 2¼ miles S of St. Paul’s; was once a hamlet, known at Domesday as Walerode; is now all compactly edificed; contains Surrey Zoological gardens, opened in 1832, and a Botanic garden; and has a post-office under London S, a r. station, a P.-police station, three churches, twelve or more dissenting chapels, a number of public schools, a female orphan home, and the Newington workhouse. Acres, 321. Pop. in 1851, 29,861; in 1861, 44,463. Houses, 6,975. The chapelries are St. Peter, constituted in 1826; St. Paul, 1857; and S. John, 1860. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of London. Value of St. Peter and St. Paul, each £300; of St. John, £200. Patron of St. Peter, the Rector of Newington; of St. Paul and St. John, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. St Peter’s church was built in 1825, at a cost of £19,127; and is in the Ionic style. A Baptist chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £5,900; and has an octostyle Corinthian portico.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Newington
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – Winchester, Post-1845 – London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Croydon, 1845-1870 – None, Post-1870 – Newington
Poor Law Union: Newington St Mary