West Molesey, Surrey Family History Guide
West Molesey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1726 from chapelry in Walton-on-Thames Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: West Moulsey
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1729
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1685
- East Molesey
- Sunbury on Thames
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MOLESEY, or MOULSEY (WEST), a village and a parish in Kingston district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Thames, 1¼ mile W by N of Hampton Court r. station, and 3¾ W by S of Kingston; is a small but pleasant place; and has a post office under Kingston, London, SW. The parish comprises 650 acres. Real property, £2,824. Pop., 459. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham and Lady Berkeley. Molesey Grove was, for many years, the residence of the Right Hon. J. Wilson Croker. There are several other good residences, and some market gardens. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, Mrs. Croker. The church was rebuilt in 1843, and enlarged in 1860; retains the tower of a previous edifice; comprises N aisle, and chancel; and contains a later English font. Charities about £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Kingston