Windlesham, Surrey Family History Guide
Windlesham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Bagshot.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1729
Separate registers exist for Bagshot
- Parish registers: 1837
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINDLESHAM, a village and a parish in Chertsey district, Surrey. The village stands 2¾ miles SW of Sunningdale r. station, and 8 WSW of Chertsey; and has a post-office under Farnborough Station. The parish includes Bagshot village, part of Sunningdale chapelry, and a detached tract at Broomhall; lies contiguous to Aldershot camp; and contains a portion of the camp arrangements. Acres, 5,874. Real property, £6,514. Pop. in 1851, 1,794; in 1861, 2,090. Houses, 425. W. Hall is the seat of W. Ashton, Esq.; Bagshot Park, of Sir J. Clark, Bart.; Hall Grove, of H. Dumbleton, Esq.; Earls Wood, of Lady Curey; Cedars, of Lady Elizabeth Thackeray; Hatton Hill House, of T. Andrews, Esq.; and Birch Hall, of J. B. Sharpe, Esq. Nursery grounds are at Hatton Hill; and much of the land is within Bagshot Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £660. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1680, and altered and enlarged in 1838. A chapel of ease and a Baptist chapel are at Bagshot; and a national school, six alms houses, and charities £33 are at Windlesham.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey