Wheathill is a parish, in the Southern division of the county, Cleobury division of Stottesden hundred, Cleobury Mortimer union, and diocese of Hereford, nine miles from Ludlow, 16 from Kidderminster, and six to seven from Cleobury Mortimer. The Holy Trinity church is an old stone edifice in the Norman style. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, with residence and 93 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Bernard Churton, B.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. Viscount Boyne is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light clay; subsoil, limestone and freestone. The area is 1,400 acres; the population in 1861 was 123: gross estimated rental, £1,394; rateable value, £1,274.
Letters received through Bridgnorth.
Churton Rev. Bernard, B.A.
Oliver Rev. William, M..A.
Blakeway Richard, farmer
Duce William, farmer, Wheathill green
Francis Benjamin, bear retailer and blacksmith
Hardwick Rd.; farmer, Wheathill house
Haines Richard, farmer and Maltster Duns living
Hodnett Edward, farmer, Besom
Jones John, farmer
Kinsey Richard, farmer
Parsons Edward, farmer, Wheathill ho
Stokes Joseph, shoe maker
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.