Peckham St Mary Magdalen, Surrey Family History Guide
Peckham St Mary Magdalen is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1842 from Camberwell St Giles Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1842
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1842
Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hatcham St James
- Camberwell Camden Chapel
- Lewisham St Mary
- Camberwell Christ Church
- Camberwell St Giles
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PECKHAM, a metropolitan suburb, a sub-district, and several chapelries, in Camberwell parish and district, Surrey. The suburb lies on the Surrey canal and the South London railway, near the Croydon and the Metropolitan Extension railways, 3 miles SSE of St. Paul’s; has two stations on the South London railway, and several post-offices and postal pillar-boxes under London SE: was once a mere hamlet; is now mainly urban, with numerous good streets; includes the divisions called Peckham-New-Town and Peckham-Rye; and contains the Nunhead cemetery, the Royal Naval school, built in 1835, for 200 sons of officers, and the Licensed Victuallers asylum, built in 1827, at a cost of £25,000, having accommodation for 126 inmates, and standing on a plot of 6 acres. Nell Gwynne occupied a house which stood near the canal basin; and the Duke of York, brother of Charles II., had a house in High-street. Peckham House is an asylum for pauper lunatics of London city, and, at the census of 1861, had 280 inmates; but does not stand within Peckham proper. Acres of the suburb or the sub-district, 1,146. Real property, in 1860, £115,489; of which £16,337 were in the canal and £18,512 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 19,444: in 1861, 28,135. Houses, 4,948.
Four chapelries, with the date when they were constituted, and with their pop. in 1861, are Christchurch Old Kent road, 1838, 8,176; St. Mary Magdalene, 1842, 8,154; Camden, 1844, 5,170; and St. Andrew, 1866, 6,120. Other chapelries are St. Jude, St. Michael-Nunhead, and Peckham; but the first is annexed to St. Mary Magdalene, and the other two have no defined limits. The livings of all are p. curacies in the diocese of Winchester. Value of Christchurch and St. Mary-with, St. Jude, each £300; of Camden, £900; of St. Andrew, £200; of the other two, not reported. Patrons of Christchurch, Hyndman’s Trustees; of Camden, Trustees; of St. Andrew, the Incumbent of Camden; of Peckham, the Proprietors; of the other two, not reported. Christchurch was rebuilt on a new site, the site of “Dick Turpin’s house, ” in 1867, at a cost of about £5,000; is in modern pointed style, akin to the French Gothic of the 13th and 14th centuries; has an E porch and a bell-turret; and contains 1,200 sittings. Another new church was built in 1865; is in the early English style; and contains 900 sittings. An Independent chapel was built in 1865, at a cost of nearly £5,000; is in the decorated English style, of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings; and has a tower and thin spire, 120 feet high. A Wesleyan chapel, in Queen’s-road, was built in the same year, at a cost of about £7,000; is in the early decorated English style, of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings; and is an oblong of 81 feet by 44, with an apse. A Roman Catholic church, in Lower Park-road, was built in 1866; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two chapels. There are other places of worship, a Birkbeck school, other public schools, and a Roman Catholic convent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Camberwell
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey, Post-1845 – Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – Winchester, Post-1845 – London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 – Southwark, Post-1845 – None
Poor Law Union: Camberwell