Putney, Surrey Family History Guide
Putney is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1600s from chapelry in Wimbledon St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1620
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1700
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes Adjacent to Putney
Historical Descriptions of Putney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PUTNEY, a large village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wandsworth district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Thames and on the Southwestern railway, opposite Fulham, 6¾ miles SW of St. Pauls, London; was known at Domesday as Putelei, and afterwards as Puttenheth; had importance, in early times, from a ferry at it over the Thames; communicates now with Fulham by a bridge; and has a railway station with telegraph, and two post-offices, in High-street and Upper Richmond-road, under London, SW. It used to consist chiefly of one street; but it has undergone much recent extension and improvement; and it includes a new street, called Disraeli-road, planned in 1866. The bridge at it was first erected in 1729, at a cost of £23,976; was a wooden structure 805 feet long, both ungainly and inconvenient; was purchased in 1864, for £40,000, to give place to a new bridge; and, by arrangement in Oct. 1866, was to stand two years from that date, to allow time for the completion of the new bridge. An aqueduct or pipe-bridge of the Chelsea water-works stands immediately above; is a very ungainly structure of eight arches; and forms a link of communication between the works at Thames-Ditton, a reservoir on Putney-heath, and the supply of the metropolis. The parish contains also the hamlet of Roehampton; and comprises 2,136 acres of land, and 40 of water. Real property, £48,668. Pop.in 1851, 5,280; in 1861, 6,481. Houses, 1,135. P. Park was once the seat of Christian, Countess of Devonshire; and is now the seat of R. Hutton, Esq. P. Heath House is a seat of the Marquis of Bristol. Other mansions are seats of Lady Webster, Lady Guilford, Col. North, and M. Drummond, Esq.; and numerous villas stand dispersed over much ground, but rather crowd than embellish the landscape. The surface rises from the village southward; and commands, from its higher points, very fine views. P. heath was an important military station, in the civil wars of Charles I.; was the scene of a review in 1684, by Charles II.; and was the place of notable duels in 1652, 1798, and 1809. Bowling-Green House was once the seat of Archbishop Cornwall is, and was the death-place of Pitt. Two rows of houses immediately W of the bridge occupy the site of the College of Civil Engineers. A telegraph stood on P. heath; and a fire-house was there, in which Hartley, in 1776, tried his fire-resisting plates before George III. Thomas Cromwell, Bishop West, and the historian Gibbon were natives. The living is a p. curacy united to the chapelry of P., St. John, in the diocese of London. Value, £362. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The parish church dates from the end of the 15th century; was partly restored, partly rebuilt, in 1836, at a cost of £8,000; retains piers and arches of the original structure, in later English; retains also the old tower, substantially repaired; includes a chantry, in Tudor architecture, with elaborate groined roof, built by Bishop West, restored in 1836, and removed from the SW corner to the NE; and contains many brasses and monuments. The churchyard contains the graves of John Toland, the author of “Pantheisticon,” and Robert Wood, the author of “Ruins of Palmyra” and “Baalbec.” St. John’s church stands at Putney-hill; was built in 1859, at a cost of £4,500; a tower and spire were added, at a cost of £1,600, in 1865; and is a handsome edifice in the pointed style. The p. curacy of Roehampton is a separate benefice. Union chapel, in Upper Richmond-road, was built in 1862, at a cost of nearly £4,000. A new cemetery was laid out in 1856. There are national schools, a penny school, a free school for poor watermen’s children, with endowed income of £278, and alms-houses for 12 persons, with £111. The hospital for incurables, which had 101 inmates at the census of 1861, has now removed to the new premises for it, in a mansion at West-hill, Wandsworth. An obelisk, to commemorate Mr. Hartley’s experiments for the extinction of fires, is on P. heath. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of Putney
Civil Registration District: Wandsworth
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 – Winchester, Post-1845 – London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Croydon, 1845-1861 – None, Post-1860 – Barnes and Hammersmith
Poor Law Union: Wandsworth and Clapham