Puttenham, Surrey Family History Guide
Puttenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PUTTENHAM, a village and a parish in Farnborough district, Surrey. The village stands under Hogsbackhill, 4 miles W by S of Guildford r. station; and has a post-office under Guildford. The parish comprises 1,800 acres. Real property, £2,191. Pop., 402. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. P. Priory House belonged formerly to the priory of Newark, and is now the seat of R. Sumner, Esq. The parish is traversed by the Pilgrim’s way, from Winchester to Canterbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £279. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is transition Norman; was recently restored, at a cost of £1,400; and has a tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, burned down in 1736. There are a national school and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Farnborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford