Sanderstead, Surrey Family History Guide
Sanderstead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SANDERSTEAD, a parish, with a village, in Croydon district, Surrey; 1¾ mile E by N of Caterham Junction r. station, and 3 SSE of Croydon. It has a pillar-box under Croydon. Acres, 2,245. Real property, £2,483. Pop., 206. Houses, 41. S. Court is the seat of A. D. Wigsell, Esq. Purley House was occupied by Horne Tooke, when he wrote his ” Diversions of Purley; ” and is now the residence of J. H. Smith, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £500. Patron, A. D. Wigsell, Esq. The church was recently restored, and has a spire. There are a parochial school, and charities £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The parish registers of Sanderstead, co. Surrey
by Bannerman, W. Bruce (William Bruce), 1862-1933; Surrey Parish Register Society.
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Croydon