Charlwood, Surrey Family History Guide
Charlwood is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1595
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1700
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARLWOOD, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; on an affluent of the river Mole, 3½ miles SW by W of Horley r. station, and 6½ S by W of Reigate. It has a post office under Crawley. Acres, 7,000. Real property, £6,668. Pop., 1,542. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. Charlwood Park and Charlwood Place are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £550. Patron, H.Wise, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and was repaired in 1859. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school, and charities £28.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Reigate
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Croydon, Post-1844 – Ewell
Poor Law Union: Reigate