Virginia Water, Surrey Family History Guide
Virginia Water is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1839 from Egham Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Egham Christ Church
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
VIRGINIA-WATER, a chapelry in Egham parish, Surrey; on the London, Wokingham, and Reading railway, 4 miles WSW of Staines. It was constituted in 1839; and it has a post-office under Staines, a r. station, and an inn. Pop., 877. Houses, 182. Virginia-Water lake here lies in the S of Windsor forest; is the largest artificial sheet of water in England; was formed at great expense, in marshy grounds, for William, Duke of Cumberland, after 1746; sends off its superfluence by a stream making a cascade; and has a Chinese fishing temple, a hermitage, a turretted triangular building called the Belvidere, and a miniature frigate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported. Patrons, Three Trustees. The church is modern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Windsor
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Windsor