Thursley, Surrey Family History Guide
Thursley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1850 from chapelry in Witley Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1613
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THURSLEY, a parish, with a village, in Hambledon district, Surrey; 3½ miles W of Witley r. station, and 5½ SW of Godalming. It has a post-office under Godalming. Acres, 4,348. Real property, £2,968. Pop., 505. Houses, 153. Cosford House is the seat of Col. Hare. The parish itself, and Thunder hill, not far from the village, are believed to have got their name from associations with The Scandinavian deity Thor or Thunor. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £85. Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church was restored in 1842. There are an Independent chapel of 1865, a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon