Newdigate, Surrey Family History Guide
Newdigate is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Park Gate and Parkgate.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWDIGATE, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village stands near a head-stream of the river Mole, 2½ miles N of the boundary with Sussex, and 5¾ SSE of Dorking r. station; and has a post-office under Dorking. The parish contains also the hamlet of Park-gate. Acres, 4,458. Real property, £2,612. Pop., 608. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Albinis; and passed, through the Fitz-alans and others, to the Newdegates. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £353. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly early English, in good condition; and has a tower and spire. There are an endowed school with £54 a year, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Dorking