Compton, Surrey Family History Guide
Compton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1639
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON, a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; under Hogs Back hill, near the Alton and the Godalming railways, 3½ miles SW by W of Guildford. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 1,971. Real property, £3,216. Pop., 502. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The manor was early annexed to the honour of Windsor, but soon divided into several parts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £380. Patron, J. M. Molyneux. The church is late Norman, with additions down to debased perpendicular; has a chapel over the chancel; and was recently repaired. Charities, £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford