Ockley, Surrey Family History Guide
Ockley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1729
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OCKLEY, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village stands near the Dorking and Horsham railway, 7 miles S by W of Dorking; has a station on the railway; is supposed to be the Aclea of the Saxon chronicle, where Ethelwulf defeated the Danes ina great battle in 851; and has an old-fashioned green, a post-office under Dorking, and two small inns. The parish includes parts of the chapelries of Cold Harbour and Oakwood, and comprises 4,286 acres. Real property, £3,570. Pop., 683. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. Ockley Court is the seat of Major W. Calvert; Joldwynds, of C. Wetton, Esq.; Leith Hill Place, of J. Wedgwood, Esq.; and Elderslie, of G. Arbuthnot, Esq. The parish abounds with traditions of the Danes; and Aubrey saw traces of an ancient castle near the church, and says that the Danes destroyed it with battering engines, placed on Berry Hill, 2 miles distant. Vestiges of a Roman camp, with double ditch and vallum, are at Holmbury Hill. A magnificent view, over parts of fourteen counties, and to London and these a, is got from Leith Hill. The parish is a meet for the Horsham hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £539. Patron, Clare College, Cambridge. The church, in 1867, was in bad condition. There are a parochial school, and charities about £90.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Dorking