Oxted, Surrey Family History Guide
Oxted is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OXTED, a village and a parish in Godstone district, Surrey. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Godstone, and 2¾ NE by N of Godstone r. station; and has a post-office under Red Hill, and a fair on 1 May. The parish comprises 3,627 acres. Real property, £5,453. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 213. The manor belongs to L. H. Master and E. Kelsey, Esqs. Barrow-Green House is the seat of G. Groat, Esq.; Shrubhurst, of Col. S. Burdett; Broadhams, of E. Kelsey, Esq.; Woodhurst, of Major R. N. Leake; Greenhurst, of W. Levett, Esq.; South House, of H. Fortescue, Esq.; Perrysfield, of M. Niven, Esq.; and East Hill, of the Rev. T. Wilkinson. Ponds and a large tumulus are at Barrow-Green. About 30 acres are under hops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £624. Patron, L. H. Master, Esq. The church is decorated English; was recently restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains two ancient brasses. There are a Baptist chapel, an infant school, and charities £33.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Godstone
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Godstone