Shere, Surrey Family History Guide
Shere is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Gomshall, Pislake, and Felday.
Alternative names: Sheire, Shire
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1547
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Shere, Sheise, or Shibb, a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Tillingbourn, at the foot of a range of chalk hills, ¾ of a mile NW of Gomshall and Shere r. station, and 5½ ESE of Guildford; and has a post-office under Guildford. The parish contains also the villages of Gomshall, Felday, and Pislake; and comprises 6,396 acres. Real property, £6,334. Pop. in 1851, 1,403; in 1861, 1,503. Houses, 302.
The manor belonged to the house of York; was held by the Butlers and the Touchets; was given by Henry VII. to Sir R. Bray; and belongs now to Reginald Bray, Esq. Fir Hill, Hazel Hall, and Breakhurst House are chief residences; and several large houses were recently erected on the heath. An ancient camp of 8 acres is at Holmbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £730. Patron, the Rev. R, L. Adams. The church is chiefly decorated English; and has a S Norman door, and a central tower and spire. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £20 a-year, and charities £16. W. Bray, the county historian, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)