East Horsley, Surrey Family History Guide
East Horsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1666
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1671
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORSLEY (EAST), a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Gomshall r. station, and 5½ SW of Leatherhead; is a pleasant place; and has a post office under Woking Station, and a good inn. Acres of the parish, 1,824. Real property, £1,880. Pop., 228. Houses, 50. Most of the property belongs to the Earl of Lovelace. East Horsley Towers, the Earl’s seat, includes an ancient tower; was recently extended by the addition of two stately towers, and of a hall 56 feet long, with open timbered roof, of original construction; contains the books and manuscripts bequeathed by John Locke to Lord Chancellor King; contains also many valuable pictures and marbles; and stands in a finely undulating and well wooded park. A manor here was given, in 1036, by the Danish jarl Thored to Christ’s Church, Canterbury; and continued with it till the dissolution. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £257. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with low embattled tower; has been entirely and tastelessly remodelled; and contains a brass of Bishop Booth of Exeter. There are a free school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 – Croydon, Post-1845 – Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford