Ewhurst, Surrey Family History Guide
Ewhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1614
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EWHURST, a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey; at the edge of the Weald, 5 miles S of Gomshall r. station, and 8 SW of Dorking. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 5,483. Real property, £4,416. Pop., 881. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. Baynards, in the S part of the parish, is the seat of the Rev. T. Thurlow; was built, about 1577, by Sir George More of Losely; has been well restored; is a good specimen of Tudor architecture; and contains a remarkable portrait of Queen Elizabeth, and the charter chest of Sir Thomas More. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £468. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands high, and was almost wholly rebuilt in 1839. There are national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)