Brixton St Matthew, Surrey Family History Guide
Brixton St Matthew is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1825 from Lambeth St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Matthew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1825
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1825
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntington Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kennington St Mark
- Clapham Holy Trinity
- Clapham St John
- Denmark Hill
- Herne Hill
- Camberwell Emmanuel
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIXTON, a metropolitan suburb, five chapelries, a subdistrict, and a hundred, in Surrey. The suburb is in Lambeth parish, 2 miles SSW of St. Paul’s, London; extends about 2 miles southward from the vicinity of Kennington: is partly well edificed in contiguity with other suburbs; has a r. station with telegraph on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and a station on the line from Ludgate-Hill; has also post offices of B., B.-Rise, B.-Hill, B.-Road, North B., and Tulse-Hill, under London S.; and contains Drouet’s establishment for pauper children, Bailey’s asylum for aged females, and the county house of correction. The chapelries are B.-St. Matthew, constituted in 1824, and subsequently curtailed; B.-St. John, constituted in 1853; B.-Christchurch, in 1856; Tulse-Hill, in 1856; and B.-St. Jude, in 1868. Pop. of B.-St. M., 10,305; of B. St. John, 4,967; of B.-C., 3,776. The livings of St. M., St. John, and are vicarages, and that of St. Jude a p. curacy, in the diocese of London. Value of St. M., £766; of St. John, £250; of C., £700; of St. Jude, not reported. Patron of St. M., the Archbishop; of St. John, W. H. Stone, Esq.; of C., the Rev. J. M C. Hussey; of St. Jude, Trustees. Tulse-Hill is separately noticed. St. Matthew’s church is a Doric structure, with portico, tower, and spire; and cost £15,192. St. Jude’s church is a cruciform edifice, in mixed pointed styles, peculiar and showy; has two porticos and a tower, and was built in 1868. There are chapels for Independents, Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion, and Methodists. The subdistrict is in Lambeth district, and conterminate with the chapelry of Brixton-St. Matthew as it was originally constituted. Acres, 1,445. Pop., 20,067. Houses, 3,223. The hundred is cut into two divisions, Eastern and Western. The E. division comprises Lambeth parish, seven other parishes, and part of two others. Acres, 22,186. Pop. in 1851, 314,815. The W. division comprises Wandsworth parish, six other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 7,699. Pop. in 1851, 9,552. Pop. of the entire hundred in 1861, 409,504. Houses, 62,763.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Lambeth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Post-1844 – London, Pre-1845 – Winchester
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: Lambeth