Worplesdon, Surrey Family History Guide
Worplesdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Perry Hill, West End, and Burgham.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Unitarian.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WORPLESDON, a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; 3 miles NNW of Guildford r. station. It contains four tythings, and part of Wyke chapelry; and it has a post-office under Guildford. Acres, 7,140. Real property, £8,457. Pop. in 1851, 1,549; in 1861, 1,753. Houses, 341. The increase of pop. arose variously from proximity to Aldershot camp, from the operations of the Guildford and Reading railway, and from increase in the number of brick yards. The property is much sub-divided. W. and Burgham manors belong to Earl Onslow. A Roman pavement was found, in 1829, on Broad-Street Common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £708. Patron, Eton College. The church is good; and a chapel of ease is in Burgham. Dr. Burton, the antiquary, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford