Woking, Surrey Family History Guide
Woking is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Goldings, Crastock, Mayford, Town Street, Sutton, Goldsworth, Hale End, Kenville, Kingfield, and Heath Side.
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOKING, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Surrey. The town stands on the river Wey, 1¼ mile SSE of Woking r. station; was once a market-town; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a post-office under Woking-Station, an inn, and a fair on Whit Tuesday. The r. station is on the South-western railway, adjacent to the junction of the line to Portsmouth, 6 miles N by E of Guildford; and has a head post-office and a telegraph office. The parish contains 8 tythings, and comprises 7,332 acres. Real property, £13,542. Pop. in 1851, 2,835; in 1861, 3,819. Houses, 681. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of an invalid convict prison, of an alms-house dramatic college, of a number of private edifices, and of several houses connected with a new necropolis for London. The convict prison stands near Knap hill; and, at the census of 1861, had 450 inmates. The dramatic college stands at Maybury, and has been separately noticed. The necropolis was formed in 1854; and is connected, by a branch railway, with Woking-Station. The property of the parish is much divided. Sutton House, Sutton Park, Maybury House, Heathside, Beech-Hill House, Mayford Green, and Hoe Bridge Place are chief residences. A palace of the Earl of Winchester, of the time of Edward II., stood on the Wey, about a mile below the village; went to the Crown, at the Earl’s attainder; passed, through the Hollands, to the mother of Henry VII.; was an occasional residence of Henry VIII.; went, in the time of James I., to Sir E. Zonch; fell then into decay; and is now represented only by substructions. There are a malt house, a brewery, a paper mill, and three nursery establishments. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £234. Patron, Earl Onslow. The church is early and decorated English. A Roman Catholic chapel is at Sutton House; and there are national schools. The sub-district contains three parishes, and is in Guildford district. Acres, 19,051. Pop., 6,171. Houses, 1,155. The hundred contains 14 parishes and a part; and is cut into two divisions, first and second. Acres, 36,372 and 17,684. Pop. in 1851, 8,714 and 4,221; in 1861, 15,113. Houses, 2,868.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford