Addington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
Parishes Adjacent to Addington
Historical Descriptions of Addington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADDINGTON, a village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands on the verge of the county, 3 miles ESE of Croydon r. station; and has a post office under Croydon. Tradition asserts it to have been anciently a place of some note. The parish comprises 3,900 acres. Real property, £4,148. Pop., 639. Houses, 122. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to his cook Tezelin, to be held on the tenure of presenting a mess of pottage to the king at his coronation; and it passed, with its curious tenure, in 1807, to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The mansion on it was built about 1780 by Alderman Trecothick, and improved in 1830 by Archbishop Howley. The higher ground of the park, and the hills above them, command fine views. About twenty-five tumuli, or remains of tumuli, altered by having been opened, occur on a common above the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £206. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient, but was renovated in 1848; and it shows the late Norman style in the interior, and contains monuments and brasses. There are a national school, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Addington, a parish in the first division of the hund. of Wellington, Croydon union, county of Surrey; 3½ miles east-south-east from Croydon. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Surrey and dio. of Winchester; rated at £4 16s. 5½d.; gross income £206. Patron, in 1835, the archbishop of Canterbury, who has a seat, called Addington, in the vicinity, which was purchased in 1807 by Dr Sutton, then archbishop of Canterbury, with the funds arising from the sale of the archiepiscopal palace at Croydon. There is a daily and Sunday National school here. Pop., in 1801, 178; in 1831, 463. Houses 73. Acres 3,210. A. P. £4,118. Poor rates, in 1837, £220. The manor of Addington is held by the singular tenor of making and presenting to the king, at his coronation, a mess of pottage. It originated in a grant to Tezelin, cook to William the Conqueror. The archbishop of Canterbury is now the claimant of this service. The Croydon railway passes about 2 miles to the west of the township In the neighbourhood of the town there are a number of low tumuli clustered together. The largest is about 40 feet in diameter.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Parish Records for Addington
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham, Post-1845 – Court of the Bishop of Canterbury (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Winchester, Post-1836 – Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1837 – Ewell, Post-1836 – None
Poor Law Union: Croydon