Pitsford, Northamptonshire Family History Guide
Pitsford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Pisford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PISFORD, or Pitsford, a village and a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire. The village stands 1½ mile ESE of Spratton r. station, and 5 N of Northampton; and has a post-office under Northampton. The parish comprises 2,700 acres. Real property, £3,486. Pop., 609. Houses, 133. The manor belongs to Col. R. H. Vyse. Limestone is found, and springs are very numerous. An ancient camp is at Barrow-Dykes; and a tumulus is at Longmans Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £379. Patron, Col. R. H. Vyse. The church has a Norman door; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and low W tower; and was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £5. The father of Bishop Skinnerwas rector and a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Brixworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Haddon
Poor Law Union: Brixworth