Moulton, Northamptonshire Family History Guide
Moulton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish church: St Peter and St Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1565
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1708
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MOULTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire. The village stands 3 miles E of Brampton r. station, and 4 NE by N of Northampton; is a large place; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,680 acres. Real property, £7,352. Pop. in 1851,1,511; in 1861, 1,840. Houses, 401. The property is subdivided. Moulton Grange was formerly the seat of Col. Hatton, and is now the seat of J. Nethercote, Esq. Thorpelands is the seat of J. Beasley, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400. Patron, the Rev. T. Walker. The church is partly Norman, all good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower. There are a Baptist chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, a handsome national school in the modern Gothic style, several schools for instructing girls in lacemaking, and charities amounting formerly to £120 a year, but now much diminished. The sub-district contains also seven other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 16,891. Pop., 4,890. Houses, 1,069.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Brixworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Haddon
Poor Law Union: Brixworth