Finedon, Northamptonshire Family History Guide
Finedon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Thingdon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Harrowden
- Great Addington
- Wellingborough All Hallows
- Little Addington
- Great Harrowden
- Burton Latimer
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FINEDON, or Thingdon, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the Leicester and Bedford railway, 3½ miles NE by N of Wellingborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Higham-Ferrers, both of the name of Finedon. Acres, 3,650. Real property, £8,418. Pop. in 1851, 1,588; in 1861, 1,840. Houses, 423. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the shoe manufacture. The property is much sub-divided. Finedon Hall is the seat of the Dolbens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £843. Patron, the Rev. G. W. Paul. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a tower and spire, and an octagonal font. There are chapels for Independents, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists. A free school has £60; a girls’ school has £78; and other charities have £55.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wellingborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Higham Ferrers
Poor Law Union: Wellingborough