Boughton, Northamptonshire Family History Guide
Boughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Boughton Green.
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Church Brampton
- Moulton Park
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOUGHTON, a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, and on the Northampton and Market-Harborough railway, 3 miles N of Northampton. It contains Boughton Green, where a large fair is held on 24, 25, and 26 June; and has a post office under Northampton. Acres, 1,850. Real property, £3,207. Pop., 372. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. Boughton House is the seat of Col. R. H. H. Vyse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £296. Patron, Col. R. H. H. Vyse. The church is modern; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a charity of 48 acres.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
History, topography, and directory of Northamptonshire, by Francis Whellan and co. 1874
Is bounded on the east by Moulton, on the north by Pitsford, on the south-east by Moulton Park, on the west by the river Nene, which divides it from Chapel Brampton, and on the south by Kingsthorpe parish. It contains 1432 acres of land, of the rateable value of £2665, and the gross estimated rental is £3165. Its population in 1801 was 344; in 1831, 360; in 1841, 389; in 1851, 369; in 1861, 372 ; in 1871, 339 souls. The soil is principally of a reddish loam, with a sandy bottom, is remarkably early and very fertile, and the greater part of the land is arable. The principal landowners of Boughton are the executors of the late Colonel R. H. Howard-Vyse (lords of the manor), H. P. Markham, Esq., John Fowler Eland, Esq., and the rector in the right of the church. Bridges, when he wrote, says that Boughton contained “forty houses, besides the Earl of Strafford’s seat and lodge on the green.” There is a small spring of the temporary kind, of great note, which the vulgar called Marvel Sike, about two bowshots from Brampton Bridge, nigh Kingsthorpe Road, says Morton, and several petrifying springs in the lordship, particularly the grotto spring in the Park, adds Mr Baker. The mill mentioned in Domesday book is near Brampton Bridge ; it was given to the hospital of St David, at Kingsthorpe, but since the dissolution it has passed again to the lord of the manor.
Manor. — Boughton, or, as it is variously called in Domesday book, Buchedone, Bochetone, and Buchenho, and in later records, Buckton, or the town of Bucks, contained at the time of the Conqueror’s survey three hides, wanting half a virgate, held by the Abbot of St Wandregisile, in the diocese of Rouen, in Normandy, which were given to that convent by the Countess Judith, with the Conqueror’s consent. There were ten acres of meadow ; the whole, in King Edward’s time, had been valued at 20s., but was then rated at 40s., and had been the freehold of two Thanes. One Girard also held of the Countess half a virgate, which was valued at 6s. ; and Godwin the priest held of the crown 1½ virgate and half a carucate, which was valued at 5s. In the time of Edward I., William de Nutricilla, abbot of St Wandegisile, conveyed the lands to John de Boketon, or Boughton, from whom they descended to Sir Thomas de Boketon, his grandson, and who was succeeded by Sir Henry Green, his son and heir, who was Lord Chief-Justice of England. “An able and ingenious genealogist,” — (Halstead) — writes Mr Baker, ” in a work of extreme rarity, thus comments on the family of Boughton and Green being synonymous : ‘ Of the origin of the house of Green we have no certain information, but it is apparent they assumed their name and arms from an allusion to their principal and beloved lordship, which was Buckton, or the town of Bucks, in the county of Northampton, being in the hundred of Spelhoe, a place memorable for the excellency of its soil and situation, has a spacious and delightful green, upon which, at the desire of the lords, was yearly held and exercised a fair, with particular and extraordinary privileges. Hence they are called Greene, or of the Green.’ ” Sir Henry Green obtained a grant or charter, dated 28th February- 1351 (25th of Edward III.), for an annual fair to be held in the manor for the space of three days, beginning with the vigil of the nativity of St John the Baptist (23d June), and ending the day after it. Sir Thomas Green succeeded Sir Henry, and the manor of Boughton remained in the possession of the family till the 15th of Henry VIII. (1524), when Anne, the eldest daughter of the sixth Sir Thomas Green, conveyed it to her husband, Lord Vaux, of Harrowden, and his heirs, with whose descendants it remained till the death of Edward, the fourth Lord Vaux, who married Elizabeth, widow of William, Earl of Banbury, and daughter of Thomas, Earl of Suffolk, and died without lawful issue in 1661. Nicholas Knowles, who succeeded Lord Vaux, was son of Elizabeth his wife, by her first husband, the Earl of Banbury. The manor was afterwards purchased by Sir John Brisco of his wife’s half- brother, Charles, Earl of Banbury, who died in 1724, leaving Boughton and Pitsford mortgaged to Lord Ashburnham, who sold it to Thomas Wentworth, third Earl of Strafford, but first of the last creation. On the death of his son William, the fourth Earl, the family manors and estates in this and several other counties were vested in the heirs of his three daughters, in equal proportions as tenants in common, “who being desirous,” says Mr Baker, ” of holding their shares in severally, a partition was made between Thomas Conolly, Esq., Henry Vernon and Leveson Vemon, Esqs., and Major-General Richard Vyse, in behalf of R. W. H. Howard-Vyse, a minor, and confirmed by Act of Parliament in 1795, by which, inter alia, the manors of Boughton and Pitsford, with the advowson, mansion, park, mill, and 8o7a. 6p. of land in Boughton were allotted to R. W. H. Howard- Vyse, Esq., entail, and the advowson, with 446a. 3r. 15p. of land in Pitsford in fee.” Colonel R. H. R. Howard-Vyse succeeded his father in 1853. He died in June 1872, and his eldest son, Howard Henry Howard-Vyse, born in 1858, is his heir. A Court Leet and Court Baron are held for both manors.
The Village is pleasantly situated about 3½ miles north-east of Northampton. Boughton House, one of the ancient seats of the noble families of Green, Vaux, Knolles, and Wentworth, is now nearly demolished. The park and adjacent grounds, which are partly walled, are well wooded ; and temples, triumphal arches, and artificial ruins were interspersed in fantastic variety. An obelisk, erected on an eminence, to the memory of one of the dukes of Devonshire, is seen from almost every point of the surrounding country. The Old Church of St John the Baptist, of which a picturesque fragment is all that now remains, stands upon the green about half a mile from the village ; the tower and spire were standing in Bridges’ time, but fell about the year 1785. St John’s Spring, which rises from the east bank of the churchyard, formerly furnished the element for the holy rite of baptism, but now, in the words of Mr Baker, ” supplies the water for culinary purposes at the fair — To what base uses may we not come.” The present Church, also dedicated to St John the Baptist, is situated in the middle of the village, and consists of a tower, containing three bells, and a nave. The tower is the only portion of the original church or chapel, and, indeed, the only portion that has any pretensions to architectural style. It is noted in the time of Henry VIII., that ” yet it is to be remembered that there ys one chapell situat within the town of Boughton, wherein comonly the said ii prestes do celebrate for the ease of the parishioners, for the parish churche is distaunt iii pts. of a myle from ye towne, or any house.” This tower was repaired in 1599; the body rebuilt and enlarged in 1806; and again enlarged, refitted, and a vestry added in 1847. The east window is filled with painted glass, the gift of the present rector. A new burial-ground was consecrated in 1847 contiguous to the church, the old churchyard being hitherto the only parish burial-place. The living is a rectory, in the deanery of Haddon, rated in the ting’s books at £20, 9s. 7d., but now worth £360 per annum, in the patronage of the Executors of the late Colonel R. H. R. Howard-Vyse, and incumbency of the Rev. G. S. Howard-Vyse, M.A. The rectorial land granted at the enclosure in 1756 in lieu of tithes, &c., is 185 acres and 34 perches.
The Rectory House is let to a private family, but a residence for the rector was built in 1844 by Colonel Howard-Vyse, on an elevated site, three miles north of Northampton ; it is a large commodious structure of stone, quarried on the estate, and. is in the Old English style of architecture.
The National School, which is attached to the north side of the tower of the church, was built in 1841 ; and the Sunday school is held in the same building.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel in the village.
Boughton Green fair. — This celebrated fair, as has been shown, was legally established by charter in 1351, and takes place on the green of 17 acres, about half a mile south-east of the village, on the 24th, 25th, and 26th June annually. The site is “contiguous to the old church, the patron of which,” says Mr Baker, ” is peculiarly propitious, from the eve of St John the Baptist, whose name is appended both to the church and the spring in the churchyard. It was customary for children and youth to assemble at certain wells and springs, when wrest ling and other rural sports attracted a concourse of spectators and itinerant traders. A tradition prevailed here that the clergy for six miles round came to this church on St John the Baptist’s day to pray and preach for an hour, and after the conclusion of the service the neighbouring youths exercised their man hood at football and other pastimes, for whose reception some small booths were erected, and at length a charter for a fair obtained.” The first day is appropriated to the sale of implements of husbandry, wooden ware, &c. ; the second day is principally devoted to pleasure ; and on the third day a large horse and cattle fair is held. In Bridges’ time this fair was ” kept with great solemnity, and was famous for its trade in brooms and wooden ware, and for a variety of shops and booths for entertainment.” Many rural sports and games, as racing, wrestling, and the single-stick exercise, were practised formerly at this fair.
Charities. — Humphrey’s charity consists of 48a. 2r. 32p., and three tenements at Pitsford, the rent of which, about £188 per annum, is applied to the repairs of highways, the maintenance of schools, the relief of the poor, and the occasional apprenticing of poor children. There is a rent charge of £5 per annum, arising from the Earl of Stafford’s charity, which also goes to the relief of the poor.
Post-Office. — John Russell, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive here from Northampton at 5.30 A.M., and are despatched thereto at 7.14 P.M.
Adams Miss Cath. teacher of Infant School
Bates William, baker and shop keeper
Dickens John, baker and beer house
Dickens Samuel, blacksmith, and Pitsford
Gibbs William, builder and parish clerk
Heywood Miss Hannah, National schoolmistress
Hollis Mrs Mary
Howard-Vyse Rev. Granville Sykes, M. A. rector
Panther Mr David Frederick
Russell John, postmaster
Russell Mrs Amelia, grocer
Scars Mrs Elizabeth, vict. The Old Griffin
Walton Miss Elizabeth, maltster
Wickes Rev. John Beck, M.A.
Farmers and Graziers.
Eady Francis, Bunker’s liill Farm
Francis Palmer (and butcher)
Potterton William Higgins, Boughton Grange
Tiplen Wm. Perkins (and rate collector)
Warren Matthew (corn and miller)
Carrier to Northampton. — Allen Dickens, on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 – Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Brixworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Haddon
Poor Law Union: Brixworth