Sibdon Carwood, Shropshire Family History Guide
Sibdon Carwood is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SIBDON-CARWOOD, a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop; 1¼ mile WSW of Craven-Arms r. station, and 7½ SSW of Church-Stretton. Post town, Craven-Arms, Shropshire. Acres, 1,090. Rated property, £849. Pop., 69. Houses, 12. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £50. Patron, J. Baxter, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Sibdon-Carwood, a parish in the hund. of Purslow, union of Church-Stretton, county of Salop; 7 miles south-east by east of Bishops-Castle. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; not in charge, returned at £20; gross income £30. Patron, in 1841, James Baxter, Esq. Acres 1,090. Houses 10. A. P. £760. Pop., in 1801, 70; in 1831, 63. Poor rates, in 1838, £44 6s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Poll Book 1865, Sibdon Carwood Shropshire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of July 1865 between Col. The Hon. P. E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., and R. Jasper More, Esq.
Poll Book of the Election, July 1865 for the Southern Division of Shropshire.
Bishop’s Castle Polling District
Sibdon Carwood, Parish of
362 Baxter James, see 2131
363 Cooper Thomas, dead
364 Corfield William
365 Dawes William
Sibdon Carwood Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875
Sidbon Carwood is a parish, 22 miles south from Shrewsbury, and 10 from Ludlow, in the Southern division of the county, Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, Church Stretton union, and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1741 is a stone building in the mixed style of architecture. The living is a vicarage, annual value £50, in the gift of James Baxter, Esq., Sibdon Castle, the seat of James Baxter, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and sole landowner, is an ancient castellated mansion. The soil is clay marl; subsoil, stone and sand. The population in 1861, was 69; the area is 817 acres; gross estimated rental, £886; rateable value, £840.
Letters through Shrewsbury.
Baxter James, esq., J.P., The Castle
Cooper Mary, farmer
Corfield William, farmer
Dawes William, farmer, New house
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.’s History, Gazetteer, & Directory of Shropshire. Printed Shrewsbury 1875.
Civil Registration District: Church Stretton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Church Stretton