Ironbridge, Shropshire Family History Guide
Ironbridge is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1845 from Madeley Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Iron Bridge
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1837
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IRON-BRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Madeley parish, Salop. The village stands adjacent to the river Severn and to the Severn valley railway, 1 mile E of Coalbrookdale; takes its name from a metal bridge over the Severn; and has a station on the railway and a post office under Wellington, Salop. The bridge was erected in 1779, has a span of 100½ feet, rises 40 feet, is 24 feet wide, and weighs 378½ tons. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 3,154. Houses, 647. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in iron works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220. Patron, the Vicar of Madeley. The church was erected in 1836; and is a neat building, with a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Madeley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wenlock
Poor Law Union: Madeley
Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough