Shelve, Shropshire Family History Guide
Shelve is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1584
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHELVE, a hamlet and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The hamlet is situated on ground nearly 500 feet above sea-level, 2 miles NE of the boundary with Wales, 2 W of the Stiper-Stones ridge, and 7½ N of Bishops-Castle r. station; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 1,285 acres. Post town, Shrewsbury. Real property, £3,079; of which £740 are in mines, and £16 in quarries. Pop., 78. Houses, 16. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. F. More. Lead mines here were worked by the Romans; and a pig of lead, bearing a Roman inscription, was not long ago discovered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £80. Patron, the Rev. T. F. More. The church was rebuilt in 1839. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pontesbury
Poor Law Union: Clun