Irchester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.

Other places in the parish include: Knuston.

Parish church: 

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1622
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Great Doddington
  • Wellingborough All Hallows
  • Farndish
  • Wymington
  • Wollaston
  • Irthlingborough
  • Rushden
  • Podington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

IRCHESTER, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the river Nen and the Leicester and Hitchin railway, 3 miles SE by E of Wellingborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wellingborough. The parish contains also the hamlet of Knuston.  Acres, 1,980. Real property, £6,276. Pop. in 1851, 960; in 1861, 1,168. Houses, 262. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of the railway, and from the discovery of iron stone. The property is divided among a few. Knuston Hall is the seat of W. W. Manton, Esq. Shoemaking and mat making are carried on. There is a Roman camp of 18 acres. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Wollaston, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is early decorated English; has a lofty octagonal spire; and contains a fine carved oak pulpit. There are a Wesleyan chapel built in 1869, a free school, and some charities.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Northamptonshire
Civil Registration District: Wellingborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Diocese: Peterborough
Rural Deanery: Higham Ferrers
Poor Law Union: Wellingborough
Hundred: Higham Ferrers
Province: Canterbury