Islip is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.

Parish church: 

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1695
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ISLIP, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on the river Nen, adjacent to the Peterborough railway, ½ a mile WNW of Thrapston; and has a post office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 1,370 acres. Real property, £3,166. Pop., 627. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to W. B. Stopford, Esq. The manufacture of rush collars and matting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £377. Patron, Mrs. W. Stopford. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocketted spire; and was restored in 1854. There are a national school, and charities £111.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

County: Northamptonshire
Civil Registration District: Thrapston
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Peterborough
Rural Deanery: Oundle
Poor Law Union: Thrapston
Hundred: Huxloe
Province: Canterbury