Castle Ashby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Chadstone.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1704
- Earls Barton
- Yardley Hastings
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHBY (Castle), a parish in Hardingstone district, Northampton; near the Nen river and the Peterborough railway, 7 miles E of Northampton. It has a station on the railway at White Mill, and includes the hamlet of Chadstone; and its Post Town is Grendon under Northampton. Acres, 1,926. Real property, £3,088. Pop., 183. Houses, 38. Castle-Ashby House, the seat of the Marquis of Northampton, stands within the parish, at the north end of a wide avenue of upwards of 3 miles through Yardley Chace; and is a large quadrangular edifice, with two lofty octangular towers, built in 1625-35; and contains a good picture gallery, with valuable portraits and very old oil paintings. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £238. Patron, the Marquis of Northampton. The church stands in the park; has a Norman porch; and contains an altar-tomb, with effigies of a crusader.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 – Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Hardingstone
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Preston
Poor Law Union: Hardingstone