Canons Ashby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire. Adstone is a chapelry of Canons Ashby.
Other places in the parish include: Foxley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1696
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1853
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- Preston Capes
- Moreton Pinkney
- Woodford cum Membris
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHBY (Canons), a parish in Daventry and Towcester districts, Northampton; on the river Cherwell, 8 miles SW of Weedon r. station, and 9 S of Daventry. It includes the hamlet of Adstone; and its Post Town is Eydon under Daventry. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £3,109. Pop., 220. Houses, 46. A friary of black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Stephen de Leye; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir Francis Bryan. Canons-Ashby House is the seat of Sir H. E. L. Dryden, Bart.; and contains a very large apartment floored with oak from one tree. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. E. L. Dryden. The church is good; and has tombs of the Drydens. The p. curacy of Adstone is a separate charge.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 – Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Daventry
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Brackley
Poor Law Union: Daventry
Hundred: Green’s Norton