Whittington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Old Whittington, Whittington Moor, and New Whittington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1650
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITTINGTON, a parish, with a r. station, in Chesterfield district, Derby; on the Midland railway, 2½ miles N by E of Chesterfield. It contains Old W. village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield, the parish church rebuilt in 1863, two Methodist chapels, and an endowed school with £36 a year; New W. village, which has a post-office under Chesterfield, extensive iron and steel works, four dissenting chapels, and a national school; and W.-Moor hamlet, which has the Old Revolution House, where several noblemen and others met in 1688 to plan or support the Revolution. Acres, 2,640. Real property, £4,527; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 874; in 1861, 2,864. Houses, 543. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining and iron-works. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to W. Fowler, Esq. Broom House is the seat of A. Lupton, Esq.; and Prospect House, of F. Swanwick, Esq. Bricks, tiles, stone bottles, and coarse earthenware are extensively made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £302. Patron, the Bishop of L. Charities, £52.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Brampton
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield