Dale Abbey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1667
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DALE ABBEY, an extra-parochial chapelry in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; 3½ miles N of Borrowash r. station, and 5½ NE by E of Derby. Post town, West Hallam, under Derby. Acres, 1,530. Real property, £2,393. Pop., 366. Houses, 86. A priory of black canons was founded at Deepdale here, by Serlo de Grendon, in the time of Henry II.; and was succeeded by a Premonstratensian abbey in 1204. The buildings were grand and extensive; but only an ivy-clad arch of the church and some parts which were converted into dwellings and barns, now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is an edifice older than the abbey, and at a short distance from the ruins. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Derbyshire parish registers. Marriages
by Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews, ed
Dale Abbey Derbyshire Marriages 1667 to 1813 – Archive.org
Dale Abbey Derbyshire Marriages 1667 to 1813 – UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Shardlow
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Dale Abbey
Rural Deanery: Ockbrook
Poor Law Union: Shardlow
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch