Hartshill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1842 from Mancetter Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Chapel End.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1848
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARTSHILL, a village and a chapelry in Mancetter parish, Warwick. The village stands on the river Anker, on the end of a hilly plain, near Watling street, the Coventry canal, the Trent Valley railway, and the boundary with Leicester, 3 miles NNW of Nuneaton r. station; is supposed to occupy the Campus Martins of the Roman Manduessedum; and commands a view in which are seen 45 parish churches. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Chapel End; which has a post-office under Atherstone. Real property, £5,349; of which £398 are in quarries. Pop., 1,129. Houses, 269. Ruins exist of a Norman castle, built in 1125 by Hugh de Hardreshull. A large wood extends from the W side of the village to nearly the camp at Oldbury. Excellent road metal is quarried; greenstone and iron ore abound; and manganese and copper ore are found. Ribbon making is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £135. Patron, the Vicar of Mancetter. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £37 a year, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Atherstone
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Atherstone